Fall is upon us and it’s time for comfort foods that are warm, such as chili and soup. This vegan chili will please a crowd and it only takes 30 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook. The sour cream takes longer than 30 minutes to prepare since the cashews need to soak for 2-8 hours before they’re used.
The chili is tasty and contains a good amount of protein and fiber so it is filling as well. It has a good amount of vegetables, beans, and healthy olive oil but it does not contain any animal products. If you can, use organic ingredients that are packed in BPA-free cans and buy tomatoes that are packed in glass jars.
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping cups diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 med/lg cloves)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded (if desired) and diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 lg. red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Homemade vegan sour cream
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, saute the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
- Add the jalapeños, celery, and bell pepper and saute for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
- Now add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
- Serve with homemade vegan sour cream, chopped green onion, and cilantro leaves, if desired.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2-3/4 cup water, as needed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in the blender.
- Add water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Once it’s super smooth, it’s ready! Transfer into a small container. The cream will thicken up as it sits.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Image Source: Andy