If you like Caesar salad, you’ll love this version with kale added. Kale holds up really well so you can make this salad ahead of time. The dressing is tasty and does not include anchovies or egg but it is very creamy anyway. For the best results, use ciabatta bread to make the croutons.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 6 cups of 1-inch diced rustic bread (ciabatta or Italian loaf)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan (use vegetarian Parmesan for vegetarian option)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups kale leaves (lightly packed), ribs removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large head romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise, and then cut in half again lengthwise, then cut crosswise on a diagonal, to 1-inch wide strips
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread bread cubes out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Toss while still warm in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Place the vinaigrette ingredients into a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth.
3. Place the chopped kale and romaine leaves into a large bowl. Add the dressing and massage with your (clean) hands until the salad is well dressed. (Massaging the kale with your hands helps soften the leaves.) Add the croutons and the Parmesan cheese.
Source: Simply Recipes
Image Source: Bobbi Bowers