Making your own pesto is worth it and it really doesn’t take too long. The flavors of fresh garlic, fresh basil, lemon juice, and pine nuts mix really well. Add the pesto to some pasta and chicken and you have a great dinner ready to go in about 40 minutes.
You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a good quality gluten-free pasta. Even though the recipe suggests eating the pasta right away, the leftovers do reheat well so save them for lunch the next day. Serve it with a green salad for some extra nutrients. This recipe is really delicious. I hope you enjoy it as well!
8 ounces uncooked fusilli or rotini (corkscrew pasta)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 cups fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
3 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 cups cherry tomatoes
1.3 ounces finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/3 cup), divided
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place in a large bowl, and keep warm.
3. Place garlic in food processor; process until minced. Add basil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). With processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until smooth.
4. Brush 1 tablespoon vinegar over onion slices; brush remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar over chicken. Place 2 cups tomatoes in center of each of 2 (24- x 12-inch) pieces of foil. Fold foil over tomatoes; tightly seal edges.
5. Place chicken, onion, and foil pouches on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill chicken, onion, and foil pouches 15 minutes or until onion is tender and tomatoes pop, turning all after 5 minutes. Remove onion and foil pouches from grill; turn chicken over, and cook an additional 5 minutes or until done. Let chicken stand 5 minutes. Chop onion; cut chicken into into 1/4-inch slices. Add pesto, tomatoes, chicken, and onion to pasta; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese; toss gently. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over servings. Serve immediately.
Image Source: michelle