Do you love grilled cheese but want to add a few additional ingredients to boost its nutritional content? This grilled cheese sandwich includes tomato and avocado. The sharp cheddar cheese is really flavorful when it’s melted while the avocado and tomato add a creamy texture. The bread gives it a little bit of crunch. It’s amazing.
This grown-up version of grilled cheese is as comforting as the basic kids’ version of the sandwich but with added health benefits. This recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil rather than butter which boosts healthy fat content. The avocado adds a does of monounsaturated fats and other nutrients while the tomato adds some lycopene. Finally, the whole wheat bread has a good amount of fiber.
What You’ll Need:
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 an avocado, sliced
1/2 a tomato, sliced
What to Do:
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. (Or plug in the Panini press!)
- Brush olive oil onto one side of a bread slice and lay into a pan, oil side down.
- Assemble the sandwich. (Bread, cheese, avocado, tomato, cheese, topped with a second slice of bread works best!)
- Lightly brush the top slice of bread with the remaining oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Flip, and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is completely melted.
Image Source: Jonathan Lin