I went to a different yoga class than normal today and we did fish pose toward the end of class. I carefully listened to the instructor’s cues since I don’t go into the posture a lot. It felt pretty vulnerable to be laying there with the throat chakra so exposed and it made me wonder what the benefits of the posture are. According to GaiamTV, the benefits of fish pose are:
- Opens your pectoralis muscles of your chest, the intercostal muscles between your ribs, and upper portion of psoas muscles in your hips.
- Improves the quality of your breath by opening the accessory muscles of breathing.
- Opens muscles in your abdomen and in the front of your neck.
- Relieves thoracic and mid back spinal tension.
- Strengthens musculature in your back and neck.
- Traditionally thought to stimulate organs in the abdomen and throat.
The video below demonstrates how to do fish pose. Please modify the posture as needed: