Winter is such a harsh season for skin. Reduced humidity, cold outdoor air and heated indoor air zap skin of its moisture, leaving skin itchy, flaky and lizard-like. Try one of the natural remedies on the following page to restore your skin’s elasticity and moisture.
Natural home remedies are less expensive than store-bought moisturizers and they also don’t have harmful chemicals.
If you’re want to restore moisture to dry, itchy and flaky skin, try one or more of the suggested remedies below:
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains many antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that are good for your skin. It can soothe and condition dry skin all over your body.
- Dab a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil under your regular moisturizer.
- About a half an hour before taking a shower, rub some olive oil on your hands, legs and other areas with dry skin and massage lightly. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
- Mix equal amounts of olive oil and fine brown sugar. Rub this homemade scrub on your dry skin using light, circular motions for a few minutes. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
Honey is considered one of the best natural moisturizers loaded with antioxidant, antimicrobial, and humectant properties. Thus, it helps lock in moisture to make your skin extra soft and smooth. Plus, honey has many essential vitamins and minerals that help improve your skin’s health.
- Before taking a bath or shower, rub honey all over your body and leave it on for five to 10 minutes. Repeat daily to enjoy well-moisturized skin.
- Measure out equal parts of unprocessed honey, beeswax, and olive oil. Melt the beeswax in a small pan over low heat. Remove it from the heat and mix in the honey and then the olive oil. Apply this mixture all over your body and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then take a shower. Repeat daily or every other day.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is really good for treating dry skin. It has a good amount of fatty acids that make up for any loss of moisture from the skin.
- Liberally apply warm coconut oil all over your body before going to sleep. Wash it off in the morning. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
- Apply coconut oil on your dry skin after you take a bath or shower. When the skin is warm and supple from your bath, coconut oil is more readily absorbed. Do this daily.
Avocado is packed with fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that help improve skin from the inside. The high vitamin A content also helps in skin maintenance and repair to restore smooth and silky skin.
- Mash the pulp of an avocado into a smooth paste. Rub the paste all over your dry skin. Let it sit on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. Repeat the process once daily.
- Mash one-half of a ripe avocado and stir in one-half cup of honey. Apply the mixture on your dry skin and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Apply this hydrating face mask once or twice a week. Do not use more often than that.
- You can also drink a glass of an avocado smoothie daily to increase your intake of healthy fats that will help keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
You can also use oatmeal to moisturize and relieve dry skin. The high protein content in oatmeal leaves a protective barrier on the skin, which prevents water loss and helps maintain moisture. Plus, it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are good for the overall health of your skin.
- Pour one cup of plain oatmeal into your bathtub filled with warm water. Add a few drops of lavender oil. Soak in the bath water for 15 to 30 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath once a week.
- Make a face mask by mixing one mashed ripe banana with one cup of ground oatmeal and then adding a little bit of lukewarm milk. Apply this smooth mixture on your dry skin and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. Use this face mask once a week.
View the full article at Top 10 Home Remedies to see five additional ideas.
Source: Top 10 Home Remedies
Image Source: Luke Lehrfeld